Fine Artist

It's all about making
...with a bit of other stuff thrown in.

Monday 9 August 2010

London again

Yesterday was a mad dash round London, it wouldn't have been but I decided last minute to go to Tate Modern to take part in the Lazy Oaf Self Portrait event being held there.  We walked from Tate Britain, next time we will take the Tube - it's further than you think when you have time restrictions.




So, first of all we visited the Henry Moore exhibition at Tate Britain, it was busier than I thought it would be considering it was the last day.  I liked the sculptures but I preferred the drawings.  The mark making involved is amazing, you can really see that Moore was a sculptor at heart just by 
looking at his lines.  There were 
some of his sketchbooks included in the exhibition which I thought were fascinating.  The drawings were so simple, almost childlike, but they led to some groundbreaking sculptural work.  I often think that sketchbooks are meant to be pristine works of art themselves but in reality they should be a working document full of ideas - which in itself makes them beautiful.  Must relax about this next term. 


In the afternoon we went to the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition.  I hadn't been before - I loved it and will definitely go again next year.  There is so much to see that you really need to visit once, reflect on what you've seen then visit again.  I thought all of the work was of a really high standard, it's really good to see professional and well known artists' work alongside amateur pieces, although I really couldn't tell them apart.

Tracey Emin has an exhibition on at the RA at the moment, a collection of her prints.   We had a look at them and thought they were
lovely.  So delicate, many of them were less harsh than the Emin pieces that we usually see although the sentiments were the same.