Fine Artist

It's all about making
...with a bit of other stuff thrown in.

Saturday 3 July 2010

London trip


This week I went to London for the day.  I wanted to see the Horace Walpole exhibition at the V&A before it ends on the 4th July.  I was disappointed.  There were some pretty bits in the collection but it was very dry and wordy, I thought it would be a more eclectic mix of bits and bobs. A video of the restoration of Strawberry Hill was playing near the exit, the house looks more interesting than the art works on show.  I shall definitely visit when it opens.  I did see some of the Architects Build Small Spaces exhibition too which was more interesting than I thought it would be, although the exhibits were a bit hard to find.  I would have preferred them to be in one space - but that defeats the object of designing for a particular area.
















I also went to Lauren Shanley's shop in the OXO Tower.  Lovely, skilfully made items of vintage colourfulness.  Lauren was in the shop making things on her sewing machine.  Really inspiring - if only I could sew!  The OXO Tower itself is really nice.  I had never been before, it's a really nice area of individual designer shops and galleries that hasn't been too modernised or over restored.


The highlight of the day was Yinka Shonibare's ship in a bottle on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square.  It's so beautiful.  It has to be the best piece of art that has been on the plinth so far.  I loved it.