Fine Artist

It's all about making
...with a bit of other stuff thrown in.

Wednesday 21 July 2010

Sculpture In The Garden


I went to the Botanic Gardens this afternoon.  It was beautiful and sunny; the gardens are a lovely place to just go and sit or look at the plants and wildlife.  This years Sculpture  Exhibition is called Heart Head and Hands.  Although there are far more sculptures than in previous years, there was very little I actually liked.  I found it all a bit too literal, the majority of the works portrayed Heads, Hearts or Hands in a very obvious way.  There were some pieces I liked including this one. 
It's made of plastic bags and reminds me of a large, exotic plant.  And it makes a lovely rustling noise in the wind.  I thought the Spider one was interesting, but it's very Louise Bourgeois.  Other ones that appealed to me included a structure made from bamboo canes with luggage labels tied on; the labels had hand written, personal messages on them,  fascinating to read.  A spiky glass one and one with metal poles woven through the branches of trees were also good.  I wandered around for a while, sat on a bench , took some photos and enjoyed the sun.  What they really need there is a tea room!